Saturday, July 13, 2013

Food Dreamin': Rice and Bacon and Greens, Oh My!

Struggles and I have been getting a weekly farm share. This has been all sorts of interesting. For one, it's a LOT of veggies to consume on a weekly basis. 




For another, there's things in there that I'm totally clueless about what to do with (or don't even know what it is. I'm looking at you, kohlrabi.)  Anyway. We always get tons of greens. I *love* greens. Kale is probably my favorite, but I've yet to meet a green I don't like. Proper usage/preparation of said greens are key though.

So, the other night I had a food dream. This is pretty rare for me. In fact I can't even think of the last time I ate in a dream. But this came to me fully formed. It was so beautiful, I knew that it was going to be dinner. A savory rice pilaf type base, a beautiful emerald nest of greens, onions and bacon all topped with a blindingly bright poached egg. In fact, it looked like this:



A note, there are a lot of awesome greens in this dish, but other than that it's not really super healthy. You can certainly make it so (see ingredient notes) but the way I initially envisioned and prepared it is with emphasis on what sounded awesome. I wanted something kinda pan-Asian, but I have little experience there, so I just seasoned simply and put an emphasis on toasted sesame oil. Also of note is the punch in the greens from the crushed red pepper. It was definitely noticeable, but not too much for my less-spicy palate. Your mileage, as usual, may vary. Finally, anything with a * next to it means it was from the farm share. Eat local!

Rice Pilaf:
  • 2 cups long grain white rice (Could sub brown, for healthier option.)
  • 4 cups liquid (I used 3 cups water, 1 cup chicken broth. You might want veggie. Always go low sodium if using pre-made broth.)
  • 3 cloves garlic, small diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup carrot, diced*
  • 2 tablespoons butter (Could use some sort of oil, olive, etc.)
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • pinch kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons granulated garlic (Why? When I taste tested at the end, it seemed bland.)
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1) Sauteé the garlic, onion and carrot in the butter over medium heat, along with the spices, until the aromatics are translucent.
2) Turn up the heat to medium high and add the rice. Toast for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add the liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn down to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the water is all absorbed.
4) After removing from heat, stir in the sesame oil.

Sautéed Greens with Bacon:
  • 6-8 cups assorted greens* (Seems like a lot, but they cook way down. I used mostly mizuna, along with some red chard and kale.)
  • 1/4 cup cippolini onions, sliced* (Including the green tops!)
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons butter (Again, could use some sort of oil.)
  • 1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1-2 2inch pieces)
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper 
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
1) In large, flat-bottomed skillet, over medium-high heat, fry up bacon, along with pepper and granulated garlic. (I'm all about flavoring my bacon.) You DON'T want it super crispy. Remove cooked bacon with slotted spoon to drain on paper towel and drain off most of the fat.
2) Add onions, sliced garlic, and crushed red pepper to the pan and sauté over medium low heat until translucent. (Don't burn them!)
3) Add the bacon back in. Turn back up to medium heat.
4) Carefully pile the greens in, then add the chicken broth. Cover and do not disturb for 2 minutes
5) Take off the lid and stir the greens. I found it easiest to do this with tongs. Sautée for several (5ish) minutes, until the greens are bright and wilted.
6) During the last minute or so, add in the sesame oil.

Poached Egg:
  • 1 egg, cracked into a small dish
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • medium saucepan with 4 inches of water
(I literally hadn't poached an egg since home ec class in high school, so I'm going to write out how I did it, in case you're in the same boat.)

1) Add vinegar to pan with water and bring up to *almost* boiling. It should be at that stage where the entire botton and sides of the pan are covered in tiny little bubbles.
2) Using a rubber spatula, stir the water in the pan into a whirlpool. Gently slide the egg from the dish into the center of the whirlpool.
3) DON'T touch it, for at least 30 seconds. Give it time to set up. If you think it might be sticking to the bottom, after 30 seconds, gently slide the spatula under the egg. Be careful!
4) Let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
5) Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the egg and let it drain a few seconds. You can set it on a paper towel if you aren't putting it directly onto the dish.




Assembly:
  • Rice in the bottom.
  • Using *tongs* make a nest of greens on top of the rice. Make sure there's a bit of a divot in the center.
  • Gently slide your freshly poached egg into the divot.
  • Drizzle toasted sesame oil over the egg. 
  • Dust with black pepper.
  • Nom.

No comments: